Thursday, January 18, 2018

latlong1

Tracking the change
( ..  from Plate Tectonics to Earth expansion .. )


Below is a screenshot of a page posted to my old website back in early-mid 2004, noting an attempt by Plate Tectonics to turn transform faults into subduction zones [by a Hey Presto & abracadabra !].  You can read that publication here  (reposted on the web after a considerable time behind a paywall).

A collection of pages posted on my old website at the time under the rubric of "The Big Rip", detailing the structural evolution of the Western Pacific margin and the separation of the Americas from Asia, compiled some key observations (by me) leading to my recognising Earth Expansion.
 
I did wonder (then) if that publication might be an example of appropriation of those observations (perhaps even with the intention of staking a claim to Earth Expansion), since the structural evolution of that margin was (for me) fundamental to recognising expansion. At the time, I was writing a promo for my 'book' (e-book) first edition).  There was absolutely nothing on the web along similar lines.  So when that publication popped up advocating transforms evolving to subduction zones  (and further to the wholesale equatorial opening of the crust (which was the central thesis of my site) I did think (I did, so I did) (as one does) .. "Oh-ho, .. what have we 'ere",.. ?? 

So here we are, nearly two decades on since those pages appeared (and a year after I have taken my site down - service provider no longer supported) and the Big Ship Plate Tectonics is still celebrating half a century of business-as-usual.  Apparently something in that publication (whatever it was) didn't work, despite the claim made in it (with which I would agree) that that "something" ..
".. promised to be exciting and fruitful areas of future research."
However we do differ as to what that 'something' exactly is.  As readers will know, I'm not big on subduction (in fact I think it is a woeful example of wilful ignorance and a con-job all at once).  And Plate Tectonics is not big on transform faults.  In fact according to Fred Vine commenting on convection (link)(in Menard, 1986) Plate Tectonics would be a whole lot better off without them, predicated as it is on just creation and destruction of ocean floors, and "moving" (and "moving past") is crass misrepresentation of what is actually happening. So between us, let's see where this goes.

Here's "the page" (it's a screenshot)  (I see it drops the capitalised "blinking text") (I must have caught it on the blink).  It says :" The observation  of a  ** TRANSITION  FROM LATITUDINAL TO LONGITUDINAL  OPENING**  has no place in plate tectonics, but is the CENTRAL THEME of this  site,")  :-



No comments:

Post a Comment